Today, June 20th 2015, is free RPG day. If you do not live near a participating game store, there are a lot of free RPGs available online. RetroRoleplaying.com's new sister site, Microlite20.org, currently hosts over 100 free Microlite20-based roleplaying games with more to come: the original tiny Microlite20 (and some very big and more complete "large" editions), many Microlite20 variants (including science fiction, western, superhero, and other non-fantasy variants and both "new school" and "old school" style games), and of course, my own Microlite74, Microlite78, and Microlite81.
Here are just a few of the games available in the Microlite20.org Download Library that you might want to check out:
- Microlite20 Tablet Digest Edition 1.0 - a new version of the core Microlite20 rules in a "digest-sized" pdf format designed for ease use on a tablet.
- Microlite20 Golden Edition - "This edition wants to transform the minimalist idea of the original Microlite20 in a full and complete Rulebook. While the original 'one page rulesheet' was mainly aimed to already experienced players, the Golden Edition wants to extend the original idea to both new and expert players, giving them a framework that permits to play quickly, freely and virtually everywhere having all the rules and manuals at hand."
- Microlite20 Ultimate Costumes - This is a super hero role playing game blend of Microlite 20, Mutants and Masterminds, ICONS and Marvel Super Heroes, for something a little bit like and a little bit different from each. This document only includes character creation rules. Game play rules are the same as in Microlite 20 Purest Essence. Last revised April 15, 2014
- Dark Heritage - A Microlite20 variant set in a dark world with Cthuthoid monsters where anyone can learn magic.
- Where No Man Has Gone Before - This is a game about a five year mission, a world where special effects never progressed beyond painted Styrofoam blocks and cheap double-exposures. The 70's were still The Future and Klingons had smooth foreheads. The idea of a Star Trek movie was a laughable proposition and nobody thought twice about planets full of Nazis and space hippies.
- Microlite20 Gunsmoke-n-Goblins - Microlite20 rules for a fantasy version of the old west. Magic, monsters, treasure, guns, and the old west.
- SpyLite - This game is to the spy genre what cotton candy is to your aching, rotten teeth. The goal is to take Greywulf's excellent Microlite system, beat it senseless, and create a game that will do one-tenth of what Spycraft does, but with only one-half the work. And also, world domination.
- Microlite20 Swords Against Sorcery - Swords against Sorcery ("SvS") is a distribution (mash-up, blend, whatever) of the Microlite20 game ("M20") aiming for "swords & sorcery" style settings.
- Microlite20 Fifth v0.3 - "This is a trimmed down, subminiature version of the Fifth Edition of the World’s Most Popular Roleplaying game that has been designed to be quick and easy to play. The goal was to create a simpler game, but one where all of the resources of the Fifth Edition (monsters, spells, adventures and equipment) could be used without conversion."
- Microlite 4e - An attempt to do a 4e version of Microlite20 in two pages.